Despite its rocky launch, Overwatch 2 has finished its first season with success. Blizzard Entertainment has now globally released Season 2 of the game, with several changes and new content.
The latest update was made available on all supported platforms on December 6, 2022.
The new season of Overwatch 2 features a fresh Battle Pass that offers various rewards as players progress through the levels of the game. It also brings a collection of cosmetics inspired by Greek mythology. These skins will mostly be available to premium Battle Pass owners.
Additionally, the developers have made some changes to a number of heroes while introducing Ramatra. The changes were made after carefully considering all hero performance metrics and community feedback to create a balance in the game.
Overwatch 2 Season 2 is live now: Official patch notes
Control game mode
When you capture a point in Overwatch 2’s control mode, the losing team is considered to have contested the point, even if neither player is present on the scene. This is for overtime purposes only.
- If Team A has 99% capture points, Team B has current control, and Team A retakes the side again, the game will automatically go to overtime. This change is not triggered in lower percentages as it only applies to overtime.
- Hero unlock challenge added for Junker Queen, Sojourn and Kiriko.
- A total of 70 player icon rewards have been added to challenges this season.
- A new Hero purchase tab has been added to the in-game store.
Competitive game mode
- Ramatra will be unlocked for competitive play after two weeks.
- Improved UI flow for competitive games.
- Matchmaking changes for better match quality.
- Heroes ineligible for competition will have a locked icon in the pool.
- Temporary competitive title rewards based on previous season rankings have been introduced. They can only be used for the following season.
Hero changes and updates
Overwatch 2 has a long list of hero changes. Here is a list of all the changes made to heroes in Season 2:
Damage role passive
- The movement bonus is removed.
- Reload speed increased from 25% to 30%.
- Damage range increased from 15-30 to 25-50.
- Wall damage decreased from 20-40 to 10-30.
- Empowered Rocket Punch wall-slam stun duration reduced to 0.25-0.75 seconds, knockback radius reduced from four to three meters.
- Unauthorized missile strike stuns for a minimum of 0.25 seconds.
- Minimum time before cancellation reduced to 0.12 seconds.
- Cooldown reduced to three seconds instead of four seconds.
- Cooldown reduced to seven seconds.
- Duration increased to 2.5 seconds from two seconds.
- Minimum limited damage reduced from 90 to 80 damage.
- Automatically strengthens Rocket Punch upon landing.
- Enemy slow duration increased to three seconds.
The best defense
- Maximum temporary health increased to 200 health.
- Temporary health gain after each target hit increased to 40.
- The wound duration has been reduced to 4.5 seconds from five seconds.
- Ultimate cost reduction by 10%.
- Cooldown reduced to 14 seconds.
- Passive healing multiplier increased to 1.25x damage dealt by wounds.
- Projectile attack delay reduced to 0.6 seconds.
- Damage from explosion reduced to 250.
- No longer damages Bastion itself on explosion.
- Firing delay reduced by 20%
- Cooldown reduced to 10 seconds.
- Energy delay before dispersal reduced to five seconds.
- Secondary burn fallout now starts from 40 metres.
- Secondary fire chalk multiplier reduced to 1.5.
- Secondary burn damage scales with energy from 30 to 130 damage.
- Primary fire projectile damage increased to 10.
- Overclocking energy charge rate was increased by a whopping 20%.
- Beam charge rate and drain increased by 20%.
- Primary fire ammo consumption increased from seven to 10 per second.
- Primary fire will now gain ammo from destroying barriers.
- Total damage increased to six.
- Cooldown reduced to 14 seconds.
- Width of arm hit volumes reduced to 15%
- Auto climb hero option added.
- The ability cost increased by 10%.
- Movement bonus reduced to 30% from 50%.
- Cooldown speed reduced to 2x instead of 3x.
- Ability use is faster with a 0.1 second cast time.
- Total ammunition increased to 15.
- Ability key binding can be held to activate the ability.
- Weapon switching time reduced to 0.35 seconds.
- Total ammunition increased to 25.
Season 2 Game Mode Map Pools
- New Queen Street
- Blizzard World (new map)
- King’s Row
- The city center
- Circuit royale
- Route 66
- Shambali Monastery (new map)
- Lijiang Tower
Bug fixes in Overwatch 2
Overwatch 2 error
- Fixed a bug where Roadhog’s breathing was inaudible while viewing animations in the Hero Gallery.
- Fixed a bug that caused Overwatch 2 players to lose progress in the competitive challenge.
- Fixed an issue that locked products in the Hero Gallery.
- Fixed an issue with the Lifesaver Challenge not counting Mercy’s Resurrect as a “Save”
- Fixed an issue where the purchased items were not displayed immediately after the transaction.
- Fixed a bug with Torbjörn and Symmetra’s towers showing red overlays in Deathmatch.
- Fixed an area of the map that would disable player movement.
- Fixed map bug that allowed a few heroes to compete undetected.
- Fixed areas that can be used to cross out of the map.
- Fixed map bug that could be used to compete undetected with some heroes.
- Fixed lighting on the entire map
- Fixed unreachable places where Torbjörn could place his tower.
- Added some missing pillars in the Sanctum section.
- Fixed bug that allowed heroes to move inside the payload
- Fixed lighting on the entire map.
New Queen Street
- Fixed the problems with shadows on the map.
- Fixed area of map immobilizing players.
- Heroes do not take damage from their own abilities if they stay on the other side of an ally’s barrier.
- Fixed an issue with the damage role passive causing double reload animation.
- Fixed the issue with skins for the “Flashbang” victory pose using the wrong props.
- Fixed issue with Doomfist’s Power Block reducing damage from area based abilities.
- Meteor Strike – Can’t detect Sombra even with the crosshairs close to her position.
- Fixed the bug that allowed players to use Ultimate during Mech’s destruction when affected by “Hacked.”
- Jagged Blade cannot be recalled while under Sleep, Stunned, Hacked or Frozen in Overwatch 2.
- Fixed the issue of Jagged Blade being swallowed by allied abilities such as Deflect and Defense Matrix.
- Jagged Blade returns in a curved path.
- Guardian Angel correctly resets the cooldown if Valkyrie is used.
- Guardian Angel ‘cancel boost’ is disabled when Mercy is affected by “Stunned”.
- Junkrat’s Trap does not appear at chest height when using Fade.
- Fixed the bug that reduced the charge speed of Rocket Barrage.
- Fixed issue with Soldier 76 where the hero could not hit critical max under Tactical Visor.
- Fixed the bug that caused Voice Over to be muted when the teleporter was taken.
- Fixed a major bug that caused the Pulse Pistol damage drop to start after max range.
- Fixed the issue with the Werewolf skin’s ‘Sorry’ intro turning the hero red in the Hero Gallery.
- Fixed an issue with melee animation when used to cancel alternate fire.
These are all the changes that are live in Overwatch 2 with the launch of Season 2.