Can iPhones be hacked? – Geeky gadgets
Many of us tend to believe that Apple products such as iPhone, iPad and Mac are the most reliable options on the market when it comes to security. And while this is largely true, even the most protected devices have vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit. Recently, Apple warned users about a vulnerability that allowed hackers to gain control of the operating system, execute remote code, and infect devices with malicious apps and web content.
Although iOS is more protected than Android, you should not blindly trust that all your files are completely safe. Following the best security recommendations is the most reliable way to secure your data.
Is it possible to hack an iPhone?
The short answer is – YES, iPhones can be hacked. This statement applies to any digital device.
But this does not mean that every iPhone user should immediately start worrying about becoming a victim of cyber attacks. Apple has put a lot of effort into creating a closed and secure iOS system. This means that many security methods keep your iPhone protected from hackers and malware.
Hacking the iOS code is incredibly difficult, so cybercriminals usually take advantage of users’ ignorance of security rules as the easiest way to hack iPhones. This means that human error and unwise user actions are the main reason devices get hacked. So it is crucial to know how to protect your device from hackers and what to do if your iPhone gets hacked.
How to check if iPhone is hacked
Cybercriminals are finding increasingly sophisticated ways to gain access to devices. A new study from the Technical University of Darmstadt in Germany found that iPhones can be hacked even when turned off. The latest iOS 15 added a feature that allowed users to find their iPhones when they are turned off. So hackers used this functionality to hack iPhones via Bluetooth and install malware on the device.
This study confirms the idea that we can never be sure if our device is hacked or not. That’s why it’s crucial to check your iPhone when you see suspicious signs or unusual activity on the device.
Here’s how you can find out if your iPhone has been hacked:
- Check installed apps. It is normal to have many different apps downloaded and running on your iPhone. Multi-functionality is one of the reasons why we love our smartphones so much. But it would be best if you immediately uninstall apps you don’t recognize or don’t remember installing.
- Check the battery consumption. iPhones can get hot when we play games for a long time or perform resource-intensive tasks. But it could be a sign of hacking if your phone constantly overheats and the battery drains extremely quickly.
- Use special codes. This may be new to many users. But there is actually a dedicated phone hack code that you can use to check if your iPhone is hacked. For example, if you call *#21#, you can find out if your device is pressured.
- Watch out for pop-ups and browser changes. You may see many different advertisements while browsing. But seeing an overwhelming amount of noisy pop-ups that you can’t close could be a sign of adware. You should also check for unauthorized browser changes to determine if your iPhone is hacked. Your home page may change on its own, or you may notice lots of bookmarks added to strange sites you don’t know.
How to protect your iPhone from being hacked
As mentioned earlier, human error and unwise actions can be exploited by hackers to gain access to the device. That’s why it’s important to follow general security practices to keep your iPhone safe.
Tips to protect your iPhone from hackers:
- Install the latest updates. You should always update your operating system, installed apps and download the latest security updates.
- Use a VPN. Internet networks, especially when using public Wi-Fi, can be used to hack an iPhone. VPN will encrypt your connection and change your IP address to hide your device from hackers.
- Secure your passwords. You should always use strong and complex passwords and set up two-factor authentication whenever possible. Using password management software is also a great way to keep your passwords safe.
- Use mobile security software. Antivirus and anti-malware software can detect and prevent malware attacks and provide valid recommendations to secure your device. Clario is just one example of mobile security software. There are also many more such as Avast, Norton and Bitdefender to choose from on the market.
- Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use. This will ensure that no one can wirelessly connect to your device without your consent or approval.
The iPhone is one of the most secure mobile phones you can buy. But unfortunately they are not completely bulletproof against hacking. That’s why being vigilant about how you check and protect your iPhone from hackers is the best way to keep your device completely safe.
Filed Under: Apple, Apple iPhone, Guides
Dissemination: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.