Surprise! Crunchyroll is making a video game for the Game Boy Color
In one of the weirdest pieces of news we’ve heard today, acclaimed anime streamer Crunchyroll has announced that it’s developing and publishing a retro-inspired video game based on the classic mascot Hime (thanks, Gematsu). What’s even weirder is that it will be playable on Game Boy Color via Limited Run Games, with cartridge pre-orders now available.
Just to clarify, yes, you read that right.
Hime’s Quest is an 8-bit action-adventure game set in 1999 where you play as the streamer’s mascot who is on a mission to save a small town anime club from the threat of the evil Y2K – and you thought this news couldn’t happen stranger! One look at the trailer above and you’ll see that the company is going all out to embody those late-’90s vibes. From the real actors to Power Rangers-esque villain – yup, that takes us back.
In particular, we haven’t seen a lot of gameplay footage so far, which is a bit disconcerting when you consider the fact that this is… a game. However, from the small amount that we can spy at the end of the trailer, it certainly is look retro enough.
For an idea of the game’s features, check out the following from Crunchyroll:
– Adventure through haunted forests, mirage-filled deserts and more in Crunchyroll-Hime’s biggest mission yet.
– Hack and slash your way through dungeons and face off against totally flawed fiends in league with Y2K.
– Relax with Crunchyroll-Himes friends in the anime club or visit creepy manga creator Junji Ito who is currently POSSESSED with spirals.
– Some games let you pet the dog, this one lets you *try* to pet the cat. Can you succeed and give Crunchyroll-Hime’s best friend Yuzu a pat on the head?
– PLAY IT LOUD! with a chiptune soundtrack by future (time paradox averted) award-winning 8-bit composer and musician Protodome.
The game will be playable on the Game Boy Color via a physical cartridge made in collaboration with Limited Run Games. This cartridge is now available for pre-order $44.99 (around £38 / €43) in either ‘Crunchyroll Orange’ from the Crunchyroll online store or in ‘Limited Run Blue’ from Limited Run Games. Pre-orders end on December 23, 2022, and the game is expected to ship in May 2023. Get ready to blow the dust off that thing before you load it up.
Aside from this physical release, Crunchyroll has also announced that Hime’s Quest will be available to download and play for free on browsers in December.
What do you think of Hime’s Quest? Comment like 1999 below!